Monday, August 15, 2005

Evanston, August 15

An unexpectedly great swim! The reports estimated water temps anywhere from 56 to 74, usually given such a range this beach is towards the bottom. And, in spite of my best efforts, I had forgotten my warm cap again. But I felt better immediately when I saw 2 foot waves, in a relative sense wavy water is warmer. We felt even better when we got our feet wet, and then our whole bodies. The water was 71, just a bit warmer than perfect. It was also quite clear for a wavy day. The waves were not locally wind driven and thus did not seem to favor swimming any particular direction, it was not especially easy going but not hard either, and a good deal more fun than flat water. We did a full swim and both felt great afterwards. The beach was nice also, with a front of clouds just to the south but sun where we were. The briefcase didn't bother chasing us in the water, but we had to leave at 10:30 anyway because I had an appointment.