Tuesday, July 24, 2007

The Pinery, Lake Huron, July 23

This will probably be a sparse summer for posts, I have developed an allergy to lake water. Although it is controllable by strong medication, I will probably only go to the lake when there is extra motivation. Since my lake swim buddies seem otherwise occupied this summer that motivation may not occur often.

But today I am by Lake Huron in southern Ontario. The Pinery is a provincial park which is very similar to the Indiana Dunes State Park. Only the dunes are not quite as high. But the beach was 6 miles long. On the plus side there is a nice bicycle path. The weather looked like it might cloud over so I had a short swim first, then biked for about an hour. By then it was actually nicer so I had a longer swim. The water was 21 degrees, or 70 in US degrees. The waves were about 1 foot. For the first swim they were very gentle, the second time they had a good breeze behind them and were rather tough swimming, especially as one swam parallel to them.

Generally Mike and I end our day at the dunes having ribs at Wagner's, we have never quite decided whether the ribs and beer were actually better at Wagner's or just that ribs and beer taste awfully good after a day hiking and swimming. So as a test I found a place called Mojo's BQ in Grand Bend, Ontario just up from the Pinery. This looks more like someones deck with a grill, and at 6PM on a Monday I was the only customer [added later - apparently a serial killer was loose in the area]. The deck did have a nice view of Lake Huron, and the ribs and Labatt's Blue did taste good. But the ribs were not as good as Wagner's, so I guess that settles that question.