Friday, September 26, 2008

Evanston, September 26

Conditions were forecast to be ideal for a late season swim. Water in high 60's and perfectly flat. I did not believe the forecast, for one thing warm and flat rarely occur together except during the height of summer. I was more confident of "flat" than "warm" but the only thing I was correct on was that we would not have both. It was warm, 68 degrees, but not close to flat. There were 2 foot waves which must have been left over from earlier winds because the wind was perfectly calm. But these were not just swells, although they were not mean wind driven waves either.

We, Joe, Ken and I, arrived well before the sun was up. The far wall was outlined by the lights of the Northwestern campus. Being clear I brought my darker sunny weather goggles, this was a little mistake but I could see well enough. The sun finally appeared over the horizon about the time we hit the far wall. Overall this swim would rate as "good" any day of the season, but for this late it was fantastic. The forecast does not look promising for next week, but we are very tempted to try for October.