Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Promontory Point, July 5

Today I needed to pick up my wife in the loop during rush hour so I decided to drive down early to beat the traffic and bike. I parked at the 31st st beach ($1 per hour meter) and rode down to Promontory point (20 minutes for me, I'm a slow rider) near 55th st. It was sunny and 90ish inland but quite pleasant riding by the Lake. There is an unmarked area there where people can actually swim continuing a long Hyde Park tradition. Sure enough there were a handful of swimmers, most like me, had bikes parked along the rocks. This time I was equipped so I did a beach change and put on my thermal cap and climbed down the ladder into the water. Boy was I shocked. One lap around the first buoy and back (about 400 yards) and I had to come in and change caps. It was HOT, 75 degrees on my trusty watch thermometer. Another lap, this time 2 buoys, gave me 1200 yards, enough with the biking and an early morning pool swim. Some breaststroke along the rocks for cooldown looking at the many small fish. I hung out on the rocks for another half hour or so enjoying the sun and waves (about 2 feet, not much chop) and the whole scene. This is why I Lake swim, awesome!

One bummer, on the way to pick up my wife I got a ticket for driving in Chicago while talking on a cell phone. Me, who gets about 3 calls a month! So it would have been cheaper for my wife to have taken a cab home. But not so much fun for me.

For my biking see my biking blog