Sunday, July 01, 2012

Evanston, July 1

The water temperature here in Evanston was quite a difference from yesterday at Ohio Street, 68-69 degrees. It actually felt very good. But again the water was missing. It is a slight improvement from Ohio St. but one still had to get far from shore for comfortably swimmable water. I only encountered a few spots over my head.

Since I was alone and the water was perfectly flat and sort of clear, about 10 foot visibility, I decided that instead of just doing our usual workout that I would look for fish. I spent about an hour in the water checking out the various places a fish might hang out. I did have some luck, unlike my experience last week in the Huron section of the lake. By the near wall I found a school of very small fish and where there are still underwater parts of the old Evanston pier I found a bed of 2 inch bottom feeding fish. And in the swimming area I found one 1.5 inch lone fish. There were also some areas with a fishy smell but I did not see a single edible sized fish. So the Lake is not completely dead yet, but I'm glad my fishing is of the viewing sort and not eating sort.