Monday, July 13, 2009

Evanston, Monday, July 13

Ken missed the last two Saturdays and today looked like a really good Lake day, so I suggested we blow off the crowded Monday pool practice and swim in the Lake. He took me up on it. Today when the two of us got to the Lake, about 6:30 AM, there was a brisk north wind. So, unlike the last swim where the waves were stale wind waves these 1 footers were fresh. So a bit harder to swim outbound. I was grateful that I have a human nose, and not say a dog's nose, so when breathing when swimming into a wave the water does not automatically come up the nose. In addition to the design of a human nose the fact that we lead with the top of our head also helps us shield our nostrils from the waves. So perhaps we humans were meant to swim in the waves.

The water was 67 today so I was not that disappointed that I forgot my thermal cap. I did have a silicone cap with me and that was much easier to swim with anyway. So goodbye thermal cap until the August inversion or September. By the time we got to the far wall the wind had died and the sun was out. So swimming back was wonderful. The first great swim of the summer.