Monday, July 19, 2010

Ohio Street, July 17

I have been away this summer so have had little chance to lead trips to the Lake. This weekend I am home so I attempted to rally the troops. Unfortunately although the Lake was warm early this summer the recent steady west winds and hot air has sent all the warm water to Michigan and brought in cold from deep in the Lake. I decided Ohio St would be the most likely to be warm, with the shallow confined area the water would warm up during the day and there was some hope it would stay that way, especially as the winds were predicted to be light and possibly even from the south east overnight. Even with a warning that the Lake might be cold I got 4 takers, Ken, Jody, and Sue with a friend. Unfortunately I woke up with an intestinal disturbance, not a good thing with the limited facilities near Ohio St. So I bailed out. But the rest persevered. The report I got was that the water was indeed cold. Since I was not present I must rely on the estimates I was given instead of my trusted thermometer, but the guess was 62 degrees. The group swam the entire way but reported various symptoms of mild hypothermia. But none seemed to regret going and I regret not going.

Meanwhile our friend Leo tested the water at Wilmette and also reported an estimated 62. Leo also does not have a thermometer but over the years he has been a very good judge of temperature.