Saturday, August 13, 2011

Evanston, August 13

I am finally back after a 3000 mile car trek taking me from Kansas City to Quebec City and back. I was looking forward to a nice swim this morning, even though the weather report was questionable. But I woke up feeling poorly and decided not to swim. I thought I had left it that Jody was to call me before coming, but she arrived anyway 15 minutes before the appointed time. I decided "what the hell" I might as well give it a go.

I was feeling not 100% but not terrible on the ride to the Lake and the conditions we found there were very good, low swells by the beach and 75 degrees. But it soon became apparent that I was not able to do the swim. I fell behind Jody quickly and was hoping she would stop or come back to me, but she saw me making some forward progress and figured that I was following her. Actually visibility of each other was not great because of the swells. Finally she decided to turn around since the swells were much bigger near the wall. So I caught up with her and told her I was, for the first time ever, in recorded blog history, quitting in the middle. She didn't want to swim alone so joined me. We exited over the rocks of the little park halfway and took the sidewalk back. It did not take a long time.

I felt worse and worse as the day wore on, I'm not sure what I have, so I will skip what looks like an hard wavy swim at Ohio tomorrow. Maybe next week.