Thursday, July 04, 2013

Ohio Street, July 4

The 4th of July is the traditional first day of Lake swimming for me. But with the cool weather this week and a water temperature model that predicted an August like inversion bringing up cold water from the bottom in the Chicago area, I couldn't get any takers and, the air being 59 degrees, almost didn't go. Initially I went to the pool but the Lake was calling. So I left practice early, had breakfast and then went to the Lake parking at the Irving Park lot (free except weekends) and biked to Ohio Street. I got there at 8:30 instead of our usual 6:30. The water was fairly flat and cool, but not as cool as I had feared: 66.5 was the average of my readings.

There were probably 100 swimmers in the water. Most of the swimmers wore wet suits. Just as I was getting in a swimmer I know was exiting having just swum to Oak Street beach and back. He wore a full body wet suit and asked ME how warm the water is, explaining that he could feel nothing inside his suit. But another guy, very skinny, got in at the same time I did with just a suit and goggles, no cap. He finished when I did and apparently survived. I, of course, did not wear a wet suit but did wear a thermal cap. Having already swum some I went to Chicago Ave, there is now a buoy with "1/4 mile" written on it, and back. By the time I got back the sun had warmed the area well so it was very pleasant. A good way to start the season.

On the ride back I noticed a number of people at "ladder one" off of North Ave beach that is also a popular north side swim spot. But no one was actually in the water.