Saturday, July 20, 2013

Promontory Point, July 20

Will and I are on our own today. Storms expected overnight so will has suggested Ohio Street. I'm not completely happy because the beach report had 77 degrees for the water there yesterday. In the middle of the night I wake up wondering if this isn't the day for Swim Across America? So I go check and it is, so Ohio St is out. I am somehow able to connect with him early and the weather is now beautiful so we go to Promontory point. We have had hot weather all week and with the Ohio St. report I don't bring my thermal cap. But Promontory point turns out to be 66. This is a bit cold for Will but towards the destination wall we encounter 1.5 foot waves. Will is a slightly stronger swimmer than me but I forget that this does not necessarily imply better open water skills. Will is uncomfortable so when we get to the wall instead of heading straight back we swim near 57th street beach and back up along the point. This route is less wavy and always fairly close to shore. We encounter several other swimmers who swim from the point to the beach and back, a route I had never considered. By the time we were done we were comfortable in the water, not a bad swim after all. When we left the swim area at the point was crowded with bikes, gear etc, but with such a big swim area the population in the water seemed small. Usually wet suits avoid this area but there were a few wet suiters there, they were the ones complaining of the cold.