Saturday, July 27, 2013

Ohio Street, July 27

Today may be the coldest July 27 in Chicago history, supported by a strong west wind and overcast skies. We decide on Ohio Street but Will has told me 7:30 and Nickki 6:00. I'm just getting up at 6 when Will calls from the beach. I throw on my suit and hop in the car and am on the beach at 6:45 splitting the difference. Will and Nickki are waiting for me, but have not been in the water. I have brought both a regular latex cap and a thermal one, and decide on the latex one. A good choice, even though the air is 63 the water is 70 and I am quite toasty, once we get going. It is quite wavy at both ends of the course but the middle is fine. Will is much happier here as he can stand most of the way. I only brought dark goggles and with the lighting it was almost impossible to see the distance marking buoys. But really, quite a nice mile swim.